Natala la la la ... ... ...

flickr

Monday, May 26, 2003

Yes, you can "burn rubber" on a bicycle... 

so i'm riding my wonderful *new* trek 2300 road bike today...it's a nice day, sunny, light breeze, late afternoon sunshine. can't be beat really. I'm on one of my favorite routes through los altos hills that ends up on arastredero ... as I'm heading back down arastredero there's a steep incline when you go under the freeway. I'm on this section of the road and i look down at my odometer. SHIT. i'm going 40 -- 40!! -- miles an hour. I ride on average at 14 mph, the fastest i typically go is in the 20's, i've hit the 30's every now and then, but 40! I look up, AAAACK!. I must stop. I must stop in 20 meters. there's an intersection with cars! i'm going to die. I screech on my breaks. My back wheel fish tails (i think to myself, how odd, a bike fishtailing...) and i stop. I'm not dead. yeah! ... then, what's that smell? uh oh. In stopping so quickly i literally burned down a section of my back tire. I can see the threads. oh my. oh my. oh my.