Natala la la la ... ... ...

flickr

Sunday, July 18, 2004

sex lives of cannibals 


Photo Credit: Satellite Imaging Corporation

Last night a friend mentioned his interest in going to Bora Bora. I'd never thought about going to BB, but decided to check it out based upon his maniacal ravings of island allure and his description of it as surrounded by a shallow (approx 1 foot deep) sand reef. The pictures were quite startling and have certainly piqued my interest.

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about moving...particularly to less populated areas like Jackson Hole, WY or a tropical island in the pacific (like Tahiti, or when i feel more urban, New Zealand). My ideas are based either on dreams of the wild west or on romantic notions of lazy days on the beach and a deep tan. In order to quell these thoughts, for my family's sanity, as much perhaps as my own, I read The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert. This book only reinforced my dreams of open wilderness adventures...So, in order to rid myself of some of my tropically-related romantic delusions this summer, I decided to read The Sex Lives of Cannibals : Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific by J. Maarten Proost. I've only just began, but so far the book is hillarious and quickly working to rid me of any naive fantasies i might have of wandering around a tropical isle in the middle of the ocean. I'm glad for this new knowledge, but it only means that vacations to tropical islands have jumped in their priority.